Super Easy Chocolate Cake
Need a chocolate cake in a hurry? This is the one for you. No mixer required, just a bowl and whisk – and maybe a rubber spatula. As an added bonus, this cake has no eggs or dairy and can function as a vegan cake. Sift the cocoa before measuring to remove any lumps.
Makes two 9-inch by 2-inch round layers
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
2/3 cup sifted natural cocoa
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups room-temperature water
2/3 cup flavorless vegetable oil
2 tablespoons apple cider or distilled white vinegar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Coat the insides of two 9-inch by 2-inch round cake pans with nonstick spray, line bottoms with parchment rounds, then spray parchment.
2. Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
3. Whisk together water, oil, vinegar and vanilla in medium bowl.
4. Pour wet over dry and whisk until combined and smooth. Divide batter evenly in prepared pans. Firmly tap bottom of pans on work surface to dislodge any bubbles.
5. Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center shows a few moist crumbs. Cool pans on racks 8 minutes. Unmold, peel off parchment, and place directly on racks to cool completely. Layers are ready to fill and frost. Alternatively, place layers on cardboards and double wrap in plastic wrap; store at room temperature and assemble within 24 hours.