Look no further for dark, moist chocolate cupcakes.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into small pieces
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line one 12-cup cupcake tin and one 6-cup cupcake tin with paper liners.
2. Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt together in a small bowl to aerate and combine; set aside.
3. In a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add sugar gradually, beating until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the bowl once or twice; beat in vanilla. Beat in eggs one at a time, scraping down after each addition, allowing each egg to be absorbed before continuing. Add the flour mixture in four additions, alternately with the milk. Begin and end with the flour mixture and beat briefly until smooth on low-medium speed after each addition.
4. Divide batter evenly in pans. Bake for about 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center shows a few moist crumbs.
5. Cool pan on rack for 5 minutes then remove cupcakes to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Yield: 18 cupcakes
Lifespan: 2 days at room temperature in airtight container; 1 week frozen in airtight container